ABOUT THE COURSE
Contrary to popular belief, HypnoBirthing doesn't involve any pendulums, staring into my eyes or dancing like a chicken (promise!) In fact, I have written about dispelling common myths of HypnoBirthing here.
The Calm Births Course is a birth education programme designed to help you achieve the calm, gentle and safe birth that your body was designed for - no matter what turns your birthing might take. My classes are informal and relaxed, and tailored to you and your needs. Join in with a group in Reading or Wokingham, Berkshire - or individual classes in the privacy of your own home in Berkshire or surrounds. Meet up regularly with other Hypno-Mums and Mums-to-be and share advice, support, birth stories and cake. Lots. Of. Cake.
I believe that the combination of 10 years experience as a Midwife, lots of Mummy miles clocked up and being a Certified HypnoBirthing Practitioner enable me to empower women to achieve the birth they desire. Let me begin your journey with you to an empowered, calm birth.
What is it?
Simply put, The Calm Birth Preparation Course is a course of 4 sessions of 2 hours each, and lots of relaxation practice at home for you & your chosen birth partner.
You will learn how to take yourself away into a deep space of relaxation whenever and wherever you wish, whilst remaining alert & in control.
You will learn how and why birthing doesn't need to be painful, about the physiology and hormones involved and what you can do to be in control of your birth. These tools, along with other techniques for birthing, will empower you to have the safe, calm and gentle birth you deserve. This course is designed to work for you regardless of the way your baby comes into the world, whether it be a vaginal birth or a Caesarean.
We will also cover:
- How to release any fears or negative feelings you may have around birth
- How to naturally start your labour when baby is ready
- Breathing techniques for labour and to birth your baby
- A simple massage technique to avoid the chances of episiotomy
- How to stay calm and in control of your baby's birth
- How to reduce the need for medication.
Who's IT FOR?
The programme works best when started between 20 & 30 weeks of pregnancy, and is just as relevant whether it is your first baby or you have given birth previously.
It is for any kind of birth in any kind of setting. In fact some of HypnoBirthing's greatest advocates are those who, for varying reasons, had surgical births. The techniques that they had learned in class equipped them with the tools they needed to relax and remain calm.
Ideally it is for Mummy-to-be and the person you have chosen to be your birth partner, as we devote a lot of time to what the birth partner can do to support you.
What are the benefits?
The benefits to a woman, her baby and her birth partner are many, primarily these are:
- Fewer instrumental or surgical births
- Shorter labours
- High success rate in turning breech babies
- Less pain perceived in labour
- Lessens fatigue during labour
- Less need for episiotomy
- Dad or birth partner are an integral part of the process, not a helpless bystander
- HypnoBirthing babies are calmer, better sleepers and generally have higher Apgar scores at birth